Friday, April 3, 2015

We have a roof!

March 29- Framers worked about 4 1/2 days this week (rain one day) and got quite a bit of the second floor complete.  This picture is looking thru the front doors to the back of the house.  It was a beautiful day, and I can't wait to enjoy the view from the windows at the back of the house.  
 This is a great picture of the front of the house.  You can see from this picture that the roofline is quite complicated.  When I was researching the cost to build this house, that's one thing I read over and over - the roofline is so complicated and time consuming, it really adds a lot of cost to the build.  Our architect simplified it from the original Garrell plan (don't ask me how), but the framers have said several times how laborious it is.
 In my previous post, I mentioned that from the outside, the windows weren't true to size b/c they had not cut out for them.  Here's an example of that.  As you can see, we chose really large windows to maximize the views and natural light.  And when I say views, I just really mean our land...not a lake or a river or the mountains.  Just land.  And I'm good with that because really, the last thing I want to see is a house sitting right next to me.  #SoGladToGetOutOfASubdivision
This is the blueprint of the upstairs bonus room that we will likely just rough in (unless we come in under budget, which isn't likely to happen).  We wanted a bath and closet since we don't have a designated guest room on the main floor.  The door to the left of the stairs leads to the attic.
This is the area to the left of the stairs.  Again, one of those things you don't know until you see it framed, but there's tons of room up here!  After seeing it, we talked to our builder and decided to move the bath and closet out of the bonus room and into part of the attic area.  It will add a little sq footage, but will give us a much bigger and more usable bonus room.
Remember that complicated roof I referenced earlier?



No comments:

Post a Comment