Friday, April 3, 2015

Praising the Process and the To Do List

When we started this journey a couple of years ago, I came across an on-line forum called GardenWeb.  It's a forum for pretty much anything but mainly for home building, remodeling, decorating, etc.  I've followed it pretty religiously for two years even posting our proposed house plans and getting feedback.  The main thread I follow is the building thread.  I have been AMAZED at some of the horror stories people experience when building.  I am so thankful that, to date, our process has been so easy.  Our builder is wonderful, always taking time to meet with us at our current home or at the build site, return phone calls and texts, keeping us up-to-date with what's going on (although I go the build site almost daily), and letting me know what I need to do next.  It makes me really feel sorry for those who experience such frustrations during a time that should be really exciting and happy.
So speaking of what's coming next, I have quite a to-do list for the upcoming week (which is my Spring Break)!

  • Cabinets- I'm meeting with the cabinet company Monday and feel pretty confident about it.  I have a good idea of what I want, with the exception of some built-ins.  I actually met with this same company back in the summer before we had chosen a builder and picked out these finishes for our kitchen cabinets.  The main cabinets will be cream, the kitchen island will be green, and the cooktop hood and surround was going to be stained, although now I'm second guessing that choice.
  • Confirm plumbing fixtures - I thought I was in good shape with this one.  I'm really not that picky about faucets.  I didn't think my husband was.  Until we were at Lowe's one day and I showed him what I had picked out.  To which he responded that he didn't like it.  Ugh!  So now I'm back to the drawing board on this one.  This is what I had picked out, Delta Windmere collection:
This is what the husband has in mind:

Right now I'm thinking:
  1. Master bath- polished nickel
  2. Kitchen- ORB
  3. Son's bath- ORB
  4. Daughter's bath- Chrome
  5. Powder- Chrome
  • Lighting- This has been a doozy!  I have spent countless hours scouring the internet for deals.  I shared in a previous post pictures of several of the fixtures I found on-line, many of them significantly cheaper than a box store or could be ordered from a lighting store.  I've been extremely pleased with all of them.  I do have a few more fixtures to purchase and will need to do that this week. 
Dining room 6 light Quorum Cilia Chandelier:
Great room 40" Quorum Cilia Chandelier:
Kitchen Island 12" Allen + Roth Pendant:
Son's bath Millenium:
Daughter's bath Quoizel (top with glass shades) and Maxim (bottom with fabric shades):
Powder Seagull in chrome:
  • Exterior finishes (stone and brick)
  • Tile- Okay, so this is the one that really has me.  I have NO idea where to begin.  I will be spending my weekend on Houzz trying to get some ideas of what to do.  We're only tiling the bathrooms, laundry room, and entry from garage.  The rest will be hardwood.  












No comments:

Post a Comment