Sunday, April 26, 2015

Stone and Brick

This one was supposed to be easy.  I knew exactly what we wanted, even had a picture.  The salesperson I met with knew exactly the house and exactly the stone, a Tennessee fieldstone.  He gave me the address of a few other homes that had the same stone laid by the same person who will lay ours.  My husband and I went out to look at them and he SWORE it was a different stone.  I called the stone company and they SWORE it was the same stone.  ? ? ? 
Well, it appears that the look of the stone depends on two things:
  1. the shipment- Since we're using a natural stone, the pigment of the stone can vary greatly.  
  2. the way the stone is laid- The house we are trying to mimic had small stones, much like the picture below:

not big stones like the ones on top in the picture below:
The outcome:  Same stone, same mason, but the larger stones are broken up.  This is what we're opting for.  It will cost a bit more due to the labor of breaking them up, but it's what we want.

I also needed to decide on the stone veneer that will be used on the inside of the house on fireplace and stone/wood posts defining the dining room like below:
Don't have a sample to show, but it's a mixture between browns and grays.

Finally, I needed to decide on a brick veneer to use in the powder room and for the kitchen backsplash. This is the look we're going for as far as cabinets and appliances:
The brick shown in the pic is authentic, old, and is in between my two samples.  Here's what I'm trying to decide between:
This is General Shale (manufacturer) Peppermill on the left (the red one), Seawall in the middle, and Ironworks on the right.  The two on the right are VERY similar, but the Ironworks is a little darker.  I'm going for a very natural, cool look without any red or orange.  


2 comments:

  1. We are planning on mixing 1/2 ironworks and 1/2 seawall for our kitchen backsplash. We have very similar tastes. I wanted to capture the white speckles in the seawall and the black accenting in ironworks, so we will mix them up and use both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I never thought about mixing the two! I'm posting a few new pictures on the blog today of the finished product.

    ReplyDelete