Monday, April 1, 2013

Homemade BBQ


My sweet Briley Kate celebrated her 8th birthday two weekends ago.  I (finally) talked her into waiting until warmer weather to have a friend party, so I wanted to make sure her family party was extra special FOR EVERYONE!  Part of making it extra special for her guests included some great food, if I do say so myself!
On the menu:
BBQ with homemade BBQ sauce
Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Italian Cream Cake

Making BBQ rather than buying it is so much more affordable and really quite simple.  This is how I fix mine:

Sam's Club sells a two-pack Boston Butt that's really good.  One is usually a little larger than the other and will completely fill-up a large oblong crockpot.  Here's how the cost savings breaks down.  The total price of the two Boston Butts was $23.47.  The larger one fed 18 adults and 3 children with a little leftover.  The smaller one, off the bone and shredded, filled an 11x13 casserole dish.  Two pounds of BBQ (enough to make 8 sandwiches) a local restaurant cost $20.  WOW!
18.19 lb @ $1.29 lb
If you've never used these, GO BUY SOME NOW!  They are the best!  How have I owned a crockpot for all these years and just now discovered them?
I mix up about 2 c of ketchup, 3/4 c of distilled white vinegar and 1 T of Liquid Smoke and pour it over the Boston Butt.  This gives it a great flavor!  After it cooks, I reserve a cup or so of the juice and pour some over the BBQ each time I reheat it.
Cook on low all day.  I'm really not sure that you can over cook this because it's sitting in so much juice, but it really should cook at least 8 or 9 hours.  It will literally fall apart when it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment