Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Out With The Old . . .

It's amazing how much one accumulates.  I've always been a shopper.  Every time I see those TJMaxx commercials, I think, "That's me. . . I'm a Maxxinista."  It's just so hard to resist.  My sister always says, "If you don't go, you don't know!"  She's right.  
I think I've said before that I like to rearrange often, not really furniture, just accessories.  I've never really had great attic space for storage; our old house didn't even have an attic, but now I'm stuck with all of this stuff!  Stuff I might use again.  Stuff I really love.    
When we moved, we rented two large storage units.  We sold quite a bit of our excess furniture right away and were able to consolidate into one, but the second one has been a little harder.  I'm determined to do something with all the stuff because I'm paying $75 a month rental.  WHEW!  What would Dave Ramsey say?  
Luckily, a friend of mine introduced me to a local group on Facebook to buy, and more importantly sell, stuff!  So since October, I've been buying and (mostly) selling my "stuff" on Bowling Green Shop and Sell.  
BG SAS works like this:  take a picture of your item, post it with a description and price in the newsfeed of the group, and wait for someone to comment that they want it.  If it's a great item at a great price, it's gone in minutes.  After it sells, the buyer and seller arrange a pick-up time and place through personal messages.  It's just that simple.  
I made a rule for myself as soon as I started selling on SAS that I couldn't spend the money on anything other than a SAS purchase.  I've stuck to it and now have over $500 in the fund.  Now what would Dave Ramsey say about THAT?  
Since I'm technically selling stuff that belongs to everyone in the family, it seemed only right that the family get to decide how the money was spent.  So one day while the kids and I were waiting for someone to meet us at the mall for a SAS pick-up, we decided we'd spend the money on our pool.  (You've seen the pictures, right?)  
I think it's been quite the lesson for all of us about spending money.  I realize I still have too much stuff, and the kids realize you never get as much money for something when you sell it as you when you paid for it.  
Luckily, we've got a few more months to work on our fund before summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment