Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Home

This morning on my way to school one of my new favorite songs came on the radio, "Home" by Phillip Phillips.  This song really strikes a chord with me because my family and I are rolling down our own unfamiliar road, and there are lots of times I need to be reminded that I'm not alone and to not pay any mind to the demons that fill me with fear and to SETTLE DOWN!
A couple of years ago when my new job took me across town, Daryl and I began throwing around the idea of selling our home, buying something smaller, saving money and then building (again).  I was starting to get on board with the whole Dave Ramsey philosophy, and I knew if we were ever going to have our dream home, we would have to sacrifice for awhile.  My excitement came in waves; I would scour the internet, beg for Sunday drives, design our house and then realize it just wasn't the right time.  
After lots of late night talks with Daryl and visualizing myself in a much smaller house and putting things back on the shelf that I really wanted but didn't need, we decided to take the plunge.  Long story short, we found five acres in a great location, had our house under contract within a week, found a foreclosure and began making that house our (temporary) home.
The month that we spent packing, moving, sleeping on mattresses in a rental, renovating the new house, and moving again are really a blur.  I do not ever remember being that mentally and physically exhausted (not even childbirth!)  Every time I could, I would tell my children about sacrificing now for something better later.  (I have to tell myself that quite often, too.)
This dream that we're working toward kind of drives everything that I do in my spare time, whether it's clipping coupons or working on projects at the house.  I know that we'll get there, and in the mean time, I'm holding on!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of "Blogging". I look forward to keeping in touch through your blog and I look forward to seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla!!! If I can ever get the hang of this thing, I think I'm really going to like it!

      Delete
  2. You'll get the hang of it, you're already doing a fantastic job! I take it by spells and some days have to remind myself who I'm doing it for, that's the BIG thing.

    ReplyDelete